Historic Sites

Downtown Historic District

Site Address Info
Stage House Inn Park Avenue & Front Street Built 1737; "Tempe" house, 1688; Paff House, 1810, Duncan Phyfe Privy, 1814; Duel Barn, 1760
Parse House 1833 Front Street 1680’s, law office
John Piatt home 1805 Front Street Built 1740’s, torn down 1954. Home of Washington’s aide Captain William Piatt
West Side House 1785 Front Street Site of W.A. Cleaver’s Academy In the 1780’s, was the site of Britton’s Hotel, which burned down
Shepard Place 428 Valleyscent Site of the 1712 home of William Miller, son of famous Reverend Benjamin Miller
Master William Cole 1538 Front Street Built 1742, Osborne Tavern during Revolution
Osborn-Coles homestead 1568 Front Street Pre-Revolutionary
Aaron Parse Plantation 1800 Front Street circa 1750’s home of Hemina Shotwell, a Quaker preacher
Stilger’s Cobbler Shop 1818 Front Street Built prior to 1819
Cannonball House Museum 1840 Front Street c. 1760 Headquarters of local historical society.
Site of the Excelsior Hook & Ladder company Corner of Bartle & Forest Now the Scotch Plains Public Library. Chemical Company across the street is now the Rescue Squad Building
Scotch Plains Baptist Church Corner of Forest & Grand Gothic, 1871, thrid church on site, first built in 1747. Graveyard stones date to 1740’s. 26 Revolutionary soldiers are buried here
Second Baptist Church Grand & Union Built 1817, typical early meeting house, used as a school, then a "Y" since 1911. Open to the public
Site of "Deerhurst" Evergreen Avenue and Westfield Road Mansion of Dr. Abraham Coles
James Coles 2104 Mountain Avenue Early 1700’s – typical two-story farm house, well in the kitchen, later Stout’s
Amos Swan’s 215 Westfield Road Horsebreeeder for Rev., home of stallion, "Traveller"
Haunted House 2215 Pine Terrace c, 1865, was Julian Hawthorne and his seven children’s home
Baker Homestead 215 Elm Court Dates to early 1800’s – typical Jersey farm house
Jesse Clark Baker’s 2511 Mountain Avenue built c. 1760 early low wing added on for son Janathan Baker, 1800
Ephraim Tucker Farmhouse Jerusalem Road & Plainfield Avenue 1740’s, Dutch Roof sweep, now the Scotch Hills Country club. Open to the public
Deacon Osborn’s 2117 Westfield Avenue 1740’s home of John Baldwin Osborn, a revolutionary war soldier
Manning Parse house 348 Park Avenue c. 1700, home of Cooper Parse, Judge of Superior Court of NJ
Old Baptist Parsonage 347 Park Avenue 1786 stone house of Reverend William Van Horn, frame section added 1810
Pre-Revolutionary House 328 park Avenue Front part pre-Revolutionary
Old Hamilton House 318 Park Avenue Part of Lyon Farm, 1712 Ben Elliot’s blacksmith shop in the late 1800’s
Col. Recompense Stanbery 245 Park Avenue Grand Early 1800’s home, moved back in 1905
Old Green Mill Route 22 Loop Dates to 1724, grist mill, powder mill, housed troops during the Revolutionary War.


View Scotch Plains Downtown Historic District in a larger map

 

Southside Historic District

Site Address Info
"The Family Lott" 2160 Buttonwood Lane Pre-Revolutionary burial ground of DeCamps
John DeCamp House Raritan Road at the corner of Qumby Lane 1735 low "salt-box" section, larger section has a 1739 cornerstone
Dunham-Lambert House 2050 Raritan Road c. 1690, most of the original structure is gone
Grist Mill 2041 Raritan Road Second Simeon Lambert mill of 1840 replaced one built in 1772
John Lambert House 2011 Raritan Road 1730’s Son James Lambert, a Revolutionary War hero, died in Sugar House prison
Littell Homestead Raritan Road near Lake Avenue c 1720, moved East about 200ft,. Early Windmill in back
Anthony Littell’s 1900 Raritan Road circa 1775, now a restaurant, much altered
Half-way Well 1851 Raritan Road Captain Eliakim Littell of Jersey Blues, one of five fighting brothers, then Gershom Littell for bride Phoebe Terry in 1785
Frazee-Lee house 11 Black Birch Road Left part Moses Frazee’s circa 1694, joined with pre-Rev Thomas Lee, Sr’s home in 1828, moved again in 1963
Aunt Betsy Frzee’s 1451 Raritan Road c 1700, was baking bread during the battle, Reluctant to offer British Generals Howe and Cornwallis – bread was refused
"House with Stars" 1391 Raritan Road Low part c. 1740, Ryno homestead and Sea Captain Brown’s
1760 Carriage Shed 1385 Raritan Road Has barn in rear c. 1740’s, studio of artist Maxwell S. Simpson
Battle of Short Hills Monument & Memorial Grove Raritan Road (Ash Brook Golf Club) Commemorate batttle fought on June 26, 1777, many lives, three officers and three cannons lost
Jonathan Terry Homestead 1470 Raritan Road c. 1740, right end Revolutionary soldier and Indian War hero
The Well 1451 Rahway Road Where Red coats stopped to drink during battle and it ran dry. House c. 1820’s was Lewis Terry’s
Amos Swan’s horse breeding farm 1480 Martine Avenue Still a horse farm today
Levi Frazee’s 1461 Martine Avenue Elegant Georgian brick, c. 1791 – Was Levi Darby’s – first mayor when the township was incorporated in 1877
Scudder Home 1285 Martine Avenue Pre-Revolutionary basement, left side build in 1823, right in the 1850’s


View Scotch Plains Southside Historic District in a larger map

Share